Thursday, November 8, 2012

"A Waitress at Duval's Restaurant" P.-A. Renoir

I love art in general. Looking at the paintings takes usually quite some time for me. In general I am not a fan of realism, I prefer the masterpieces of artists where you need to spend quite some time in front of the painting to get your sense out of it or to understand the author's approach. What I like about creations of the impressionists is their ability of creating their works by using the quick brush strokes. This technique really allows them to create the unique blends of colors. I find this quite fascinating.

In the suggested painting of Renoir we see the waitress of Duval's restaurant. At first  when I looked at the girl, my attention went towards her eyes. The little black dots on her face. In the beginning I thought that she was looking right at me, but when I really looked into her eyes, it seemed that the waitress was looking right passed me. In the depth of the unknown world. In the middle of nowhere. Slightly bending her head, she was almost visiting the other world that she might see behind the restaurant itself, behind the picture she actually saw in front of her... room full of guests, eating their supper or discussing politics with the glass of whiskey. I feel like she looks beyond this festivities, evaluating her role in this particular moment, in this place, in the world. It seems time to time that she is dull, while at times I might see that she has a slightly noticeable smile. Her hand on the waist is a sign of so-called power over the situation or guests needs. The painting is in dull colors. The curtain matches the waitress's apron, while her color the color of the wallpaper.

I do not think that my perspective has changed after reading the poem. I am willing to say, that the author has his own approach of understanding the painting. So do I have my own. Plus both creations were written in different times in world history, so I would assume that both authors have never met each other. So they are really coming out of their own perspective of one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment