Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Onion Exercise

For the Onion Exercise I chose the article named "Dwight Howard Makes Talking Look Almost Effortless During Lakers Press Conference"(see below for the actual media). I love sports, so no wonder article that caught my eye was the one dedicated to basketball. Knowing Dwight Howard from his Orlando Magic years and actually seeing him live on the court as well as watching the press conferences with his participation or reading media pieces written about him, I was not surprised by the way he was satirized/presented by the author. The way Howard acts in public and his smack talk about his former coach and team is the proof to it. I might agree that it is to the certain extent exaggerated by the media, but overall the critique/satire is quite in place. 

The article mainly concentrates on the norms of the behavior in public, about the behavior of that particular person, and what light the athletes should or should not present themselves as public speakers and examples for the others. 

Few statements were true in the article: Dwight Howard is really a Laker now; season opener game for Lakers was really on Tuesday; Howard is a true center basketball player.

As well our assignment for this exercise included finding an item that might be associated with the theme of the article. First thing that appeared in my mind was a basketball ball I had at home. A true NBA certified ball. It really resonates with the piece of media and really helps me remember about one another. But as our professor mentioned, there should be a few items she "stored" in the building. So I found this item (see attached picture). It has nothing to do with the article itself, but it gets my attention in the direction that something is really behind those close door. It may be, you do not have to be a regular-minded person to see it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment